Job Description / Essential Elements:
PALM SPRINGS UNIFIED SCHOOL DISTRICT CLASS SPECIFICATION
Palm Springs, California
SENIOR ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT
Under the direction of a Cabinet-level administrator, perform a variety of complex secretarial and administrative support to assist the administrator of a major functional area of the District; organize and coordinate office activities and communications; provide assistance and information to District staff, County and State officials, parents and vendors; train and provide work direction to assigned staff.
The Senior Administrative Assistant provides complex secretarial and administrative support to a Cabinet-level administrator and serves in a lead capacity over other clerical staff.
· Organize and coordinate the day-to-day activities of the assigned administrative office to assure smooth, efficient and effective office operations; organize and coordinate office activities and communications; perform complex duties to assist the administrator with details.
· Perform complex and responsible duties requiring specialized and extensive knowledge of the assigned area of administration; perform duties with substantial initiative and judgement to attend to issues in the absence of the administrator as authorized.
· Organize, coordinate and assist with a variety of administrative details, compile information and data for reports and assist in the preparation of statistical and narrative reports; perform research and conduct special projects and assignments related to programs of the functional area; organize and establish filing and record-keeping system.
· Compose, type and prepare Board actions for assigned area in accordance with established formats; compile and organize appropriate background materials; inspect documents, forms, records and other materials for accuracy and completeness.
· Train and provide work direction to assigned staff; assign and review work.
· Attend a variety of regular and special meetings; prepare agendas, minutes and other details for meetings; attend meetings and take shorthand notes from dictation as assigned by the position; transcribe minutes and distribute to appropriate personnel.
· Greet visitors and answer telephones; provide information or redirect visitors and callers to appropriate personnel; provide information and answer questions regarding District programs, policies, procedures and regulations; relay information, messages and directives from the administrator.
· Sort and route mail and correspondence for administrator's personal reply or signature.
· Prepare correspondence and memoranda independently or from oral instructions; determine appropriate format and presentation; maintain a variety of complex files and records often involving confidential materials.
· Schedule, arrange and confirm appointments and meetings and maintain the administrator's calendar; arrange travel reservations and accommodations.
· Coordinate communications and activities with other District departments and personnel, educational institutions, State and Federal agencies, vendors, outside organizations and the public; communicate policies and procedures with faculty, administration and staff; evaluate documents for completeness and accuracy.
· Requisition office supplies and materials to assure adequate inventory; assist in preparing and monitoring budgetary and other financial data.
· Operate a computer and other office equipment as assigned.
· Perform related duties as assigned.
· Organization, policies and procedures of District and the assigned area of administration.
· Secretarial and administrative assistant methods and responsibilities.
· Principles and practices of training and providing work direction to others.
· Research methods and report writing techniques.
· Modern administrative office practices, procedures and equipment.
· Automated equipment and operating procedures of applicable software.
· Correct English usage, grammar, spelling, punctuation and vocabulary.
· Applicable sections of State Education Code and other applicable laws.
· Basic budget preparation and monitoring control methods.
· Oral and written communication skills.
· Interpersonal skills using tact, patience and courtesy.
· Telephone techniques and etiquette.
· Public relations techniques.
· Record-keeping techniques.
· Perform a variety of complex and responsible secretarial and administrative support duties to assist the Administrator with administrative details.
· Train and provide work direction to others.
· Apply, interpret and explain the operations, policies and procedures of the Administrator's office.
· Prepare and maintain administrative records and files.
· Perform research, compile data and prepare reports.
· Work confidentially with discretion.
· Plan and organize work.
· Compose correspondence and written materials independently.
· Operate a computer terminal to enter data, maintain records and generate reports.
· Organize, coordinate and oversee office activities.
· Type at 50 words net per minute from clear copy.
· Take dictation at an acceptable rate of speed and transcribe accurately.
· Establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships with others.
· Meet schedules and time lines.
· Analyze situations accurately and adopt an effective course of action.
· Complete work with many interruptions.
· Make arrangements for meetings, travel and conferences.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Any combination equivalent to:
· Graduation from high school supplemented by college-level course work in secretarial science, business or related field.
· Five years increasingly responsible secretarial experience including two years in a supervisory capacity.
· Valid California driver's license.
· Office environment.
· Constant interruptions.
· Driving a vehicle to conduct work.
· Hearing and speaking to exchange information in person and on the telephone.
· Dexterity of hands and fingers to operate a computer keyboard.
· Sitting for extended periods of time.
· Seeing to read a variety of materials.
· Bending at the waist, kneeling or crouching to file materials.
BARGAINING UNIT STATUS
Performance of this job will be evaluated in accordance with provisions of Board policy on Evaluation of Management/Confidential employees.