Job Description / Essential Elements:
JOB DESCRIPTION Grossmont Union High School District
The job of Accountant is done for the purpose/s of maintaining financial operations in accordance with established policies and practices; ensuring revenues and expenses are within budget limits; maintaining accurate account balances; evaluating feasibility of services within budget parameters; generating various financial reports; ensuring efficient use of financial resources; and providing staff financial guidance; and monitoring the internal controls of the financial operations. Incumbents in this classification provide students and staff with fiscal services which in turn directly supports learning.
This job reports to Director, Fiscal Services
• Analyzes a variety of fiscal data and specific accounting operations (e.g. budgets, mandatory financial reports, statistical analyses, grants, project proposals, contracts, reports, data, etc.) for the purpose of providing written reference, conveying information, complying with district, state and federal regulations, determining feasibility of service within budget parameters, ensuring efficiency and adherence to established internal policies and procedures, making recommendations and/or maximizing use of funds.
• Collaborates activities with other district personnel for the purpose of providing information necessary for making decisions regarding developing, implementing, evaluating and maintaining services and/or programs.
• Compiles a variety of fiscal information (e.g. profit and loss reports, reimbursement reports, manuals, reporting procedures, internal controls, chart of accounts structure, etc.) for the purpose of providing information to others for implementation and action.
• Coordinates with district personnel for the purpose of implementing and maintaining services and/or programs.
• Implements reporting procedures and internal controls for the purpose of maintaining accurate records and complying with state and District regulatory requirements.
• Informs personnel regarding financial procedures (e.g. accounts payable, budget modifications, reporting requirements, internal controls, etc.) for the purpose of providing necessary information for making decisions, taking appropriate action and/or complying with established fiscal guidelines.
• Maintains a wide variety of fiscal information, files and records (e.g. accounts payable, purchase orders, contracts, asset inventory, etc.) for the purpose of providing an up-to-date reference and audit trail for compliance.
• Monitors fund balances of assigned programs and related financial activity for the purpose of ensuring that allocations are accurate, related revenues are generated, expenses are within budget limits and/or fiscal practices are followed.
• Orients staff for the purpose of providing information on proper operation of electronic systems.
• Oversees accounting activities for the purpose of completing projects/work orders efficiently and in accordance with standard accounting procedures.
• Prepares a wide variety of financial information (e.g. procedures, reports, memos, annual financial statements, draft financial statements for auditors, letters, cash flow reports, etc.) for the purpose of providing technical expertise and direction regarding accounting issues and related activities to other personnel, presenting analyses and recommendations, adhering to mandated reporting requirements, and/or complying with financial, legal and administrative requirements.
• Prepares general journal entries (e.g. general funds, grant funds, special funds, etc.) for the purpose of documenting financial transactions in compliance with financial requirements.
• Processes a wide variety of financial information related to general and categorical funds (e.g. year end closings, etc.) for the purpose of ensuring the accuracy of reported information, updating information, authorizing appropriate action, ensuring the availability and proper allocation of funds, and addressing appropriate compliance requirements.
• Provides technical assistance, information, coordination of work, etc. to staff for the purpose of ensuring accuracy and compliance with accounting procedures.
• Recommends policies, procedures and/or actions related to financial functions for the purpose of providing direction that meets the district's goals and objectives.
• Reconciles account balances (e.g. bank statements, cash receipts, accounts, general ledgers, etc.) for the purpose of maintaining accurate account balances and complying with accounting policies, practices and regulations.
• Researches discrepancies of financial information and/or documentation (e.g. purchase orders, invoices, credits, etc.) for the purpose of providing information, developing recommendations, and/or ensuring accuracy to procedures prior to processing data.
• Responds to inquires from a variety of sources including staff, other educational institutions, funding agencies, auditors, governing board, etc. (e.g. fund categories, reporting requirements, budget modifications, petty cash, purchasing, etc.) for the purpose of providing necessary information and direction for completing transactions, ensuring the appropriate use of funds, preparing reimbursement requests and ensuring fiscal transactions are in conformance with required accounting practices.
• Serves as a resource to District Administration, ASB and Food Service staff for the purpose of providing ASB and/or food service accounting regulations.
• Assists other personnel for the purpose of ensuring an efficient and effective work environment.
• Participates in meetings, workshops and seminars for the purpose of conveying and/or gathering information required to perform functions.
Job Requirements: Minimum Qualifications
SKILLS are required to perform multiple, technical tasks with a need to occasionally upgrade skills in order to meet changing job conditions. Specific skills required to satisfactorily perform the functions of the job include: operating standard office equipment; performing accounting procedures; performing standard bookkeeping; preparing and maintaining accurate records; and using pertinent software applications.
KNOWLEDGE is required to perform algebra and/or geometry; review and interpret highly technical information, write technical materials, and/or speak persuasively to implement desired actions; and analyze situations to define issues and draw conclusions. Specific knowledge required to satisfactorily perform the functions of the job includes: accounting/bookkeeping principles; and concepts of grammar and punctuation.
ABILITY is required to schedule activities and/or meetings; often gather, collate, and/or classify data; and use basic, job-related equipment. Flexibility is required to work with others in a variety of circumstances; analyze data utilizing defined but different processes; and operate equipment using defined methods. Ability is also required to work with a diversity of individuals and/or groups; work with data of widely varied types and/or purposes; and utilize job-related equipment. In working with others, problem solving is required to identify issues and create action plans. Problem solving with data frequently requires independent interpretation of guidelines; and problem solving with equipment is limited to moderate. Specific abilities required to satisfactorily perform the functions of the job include: adapting to changing work priorities; being attentive to detail; communicating with diverse groups; maintaining a professional work environment; maintaining confidentiality; meeting deadlines and schedules; setting priorities; and working with detailed information/data.
Responsibilities include: working under limited supervision using standardized practices and/or methods; leading, guiding, and/or coordinating others; and directing the use of budgeted funds within a work unit. Utilization of resources from other work units is often required to perform the job's functions. There is a continual opportunity to impact the Organization’s services.
The usual and customary methods of performing the job's functions require the following physical demands: some lifting, carrying, pushing, and/or pulling; and significant fine finger dexterity. Generally the job requires 80% sitting, 10% walking, and 10% standing. This job is performed in a generally clean and healthy environment.
Experience Job related experience within specialized field is required.
Education Bachelors degree in job related area.
As required for position
Certificates & Licenses
Continuing Educ. / Training
Criminal Justice Fingerprint/Background
Clearance TB Clearance
Unit 11 56