Job Description / Essential Elements:
Palm Springs Unified School District
A.R. # 4232.319
COOK MANAGER I
The Cook Manager I directs food service personnel at an assigned elementary school site in performing their functions in a safe and efficient manner; provides food services that meet the mandated nutritional needs of students; ensures availability of quantities of items; provides written support to convey information; and complies with mandated health requirements.
• Inspects food items and/or supplies received.
• Prepares a variety of documents (e.g. meal counts, bank deposits, inventory reports, etc.).
• Responds to inquiries of students, staff, and the public.
• Reconciles transactions (e.g. counting receipts, completing documentation, etc.).
• Estimates food preparation amounts and adjusts recipes if required.
• Conducts physical inventories.
• Maintains accurate student records (e.g. food allergies, free and reduced meal status, meal count, status of pre-paid accounts, etc.).
• Tests prepared food for flavor, appearance and temperature.
• Trains employees and student workers/volunteers and evaluates job performance.
• Monitors kitchen, cafeteria areas and equipment operations and functions.
• Orders equipment and supplies for daily use in cafeteria (e.g. standard items stocked in warehouse, special items required for catering events, consumable supplies, bread, milk, etc.).
• Arranges food and beverage items (e.g. placing in steam tables, displaying, filling racks, etc.).
• Directs other food service personnel and student workers/volunteers.
• Cleans utensils, equipment and the storage, food preparation, serving and eating areas.
• Collects payments for food items from students and/or staff (e.g. cash, meal tickets, etc.).
• Prepares food and beverage items for consumption at site or for transporting to other locations.
• Serves one or more items of food.
• Stocks food, condiments and supplies.
• Transports food and supplies to other locations (e.g. classrooms on the school site, off-site, etc.).
• Assists other personnel, as may be required.
• Performs related duties as assigned.
JOB REQUIREMENTS: MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Any combination of experience and training which would indicate possession of the knowledge, skills, and abilities listed above. An example of an acceptable combination is:
One (1) year of recent paid experience in the cooking, baking and serving of large quantities of food.
SKILLS to prepare large quantities of food skillfully; read and understand recipes and labels; evaluate needs and order ingredients and supplies as appropriate; evaluate taste, appearance and quality of all food items; supervise the handling of money and keep accurate records; prepare and maintain accurate records; utilize industrial grade food service equipment; and use pertinent software applications.
KNOWLEDGE of basic cost accounting concepts and techniques; federal, state and local regulations pertaining to school meals and child nutrition programs; methods of quantity cooking; health standards and hazards; food safe handling procedures; policies and procedures for free and reduced lunches; proper use of common kitchen appliances, equipment, and supplies; recordkeeping techniques.
ABILITY to communicate, be understood, give and carry out instructions spoken in English; train and oversee the work of others; set priorities; work around children; establish and maintain effective working relationships; work as part of a team; adapt to changing work locations; understand and be sensitive to the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, and ethnic backgrounds of vendors, district personnel and administrators; maintain consistent, punctual and regular attendance.
WORKING ENVIRONMENT/PHYSICAL DEMANDS
The usual and customary methods of performing the job's functions require the following physical demands: significant lifting, carrying, pushing, and/or pulling; some climbing and balancing; frequent stooping, kneeling, crouching, and/or crawling; and significant fine finger dexterity. Generally the job requires 20% sitting, 20% walking, and 60% standing. The job is performed under some temperature extremes and some hazardous conditions.
Education High School diploma or equivalent.
Required Testing Certificates
Job-Related Proficiency Examination
Food Safety Certification from a recognized provider of Food Safety Examination and Certifications
Food Handler’s Certificate issued by the County Health Department, or equivalent (post hire)
Valid Driver’s License and Evidence of Insurability (desired)
Continuing Education/Training Clearances
None Specified Criminal Justice Fingerprint/Background Clearance
Pre-placement Physical Exam
Performance of this job will be evaluated in accordance with provisions of the Collective Bargaining Agreement between California Teamsters Public, Professional & Medical Employees Union, Local 911 General Employees Unit and Palm Springs Unified School District.
FLSA Status Bargaining Unit Salary Range BOE Approval Date
Non Exempt Teams 2 19 11/27/07