LOS ALAMITOS UNIFIED SCHOOL DISTRICT
Office of the Personnel Commission
CLASS TITLE: CUSTODIAN
Under the direction of a Site Administrator, perform a variety of custodian and maintenance
functions; assist with the custodial needs of teachers and personnel and maintain equipment in
1. Prepare campus for entry/exit of students and staff; open/close gates, front office,
classrooms and restrooms as directed.
2. Repair and change combinations on lockers as necessary; maintain lockers in working
3. Respond to special calls from the office directing custodial and minor maintenance
4. Maintain small truck and other mechanical equipment; repair truck as necessary; change
tires and service mechanical equipment including the turf vacuum.
5. Change furnace filters and set clocks for furnaces according to prescribed methods and
perform routine maintenance on air compressors and other plant equipment, referring
more complex maintenance activities to District maintenance staff.
6. Unlock/lock doors, gates and bike racks; turn off alarms; put up and take down flags;
check for vandalism and graffiti.
7. Secure doors, windows and gates; set alarms; assist in enforcing campus rules and
regulations regarding prohibited behavior and activities.
8. Vacuum and shampoo carpets and rugs; dust and clean sinks, tables and counters; wash
windows and walls; sweep, mop, strip and wax floors; dust furniture, shelves, window
sills, blinds, baseboards and equipment, wash walls and windows.
9. Erase and clean chalkboards and whiteboards; clean eraser trays and erasers
10. Empty trash and replace trash can liners; empty pencil sharpeners.
11. Arrange furniture as directed; set up for special events.
12. Clean and disinfect sinks, toilets, drinking fountains, urinals, showers; unclog drains;
clean locker rooms; refill paper towel and other dispensers.
13. Repair and replace door knobs and locks; replace light bulbs and tubes; perform minor
repairs as time permits; report needed repairs to appropriate personnel.
14. Deliver books, supplies, furniture and equipment to various parts of the campus.
15. Maintain adequate inventory of cleaning supplies and tools.
16. Prepare monthly reports on preventive maintenance and safety.
17. As directed by the Maintenance Supervisor or High School Plant Supervisor,
custodians may be responsible for the cleanliness and maintenance of the swimming
pool on campus.
18. Generate and monitor work order requests, move requests and other site improvements
using the district’s online work order system.
19. Perform other related duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES:
Methods, tools, equipment and materials used in the cleaning of buildings
Health and safety regulations
Maintenance and repair of mechanical equipment
Maintenance and repair of combination locks
Building and equipment maintenance and repair
Record keeping techniques
Integrated pest management
Maintain buildings and grounds in a clean and safe manner
Perform basic building and equipment, maintenance and repair
Understand and follow oral and written directions
Work cooperatively with others
Establish and maintain effective working relationships with others
Meet schedules and timelines
Maintain records and prepare reports
Lift objects weighing up to 100 pounds
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
Any combination equivalent to: graduation from eighth grade and one year experience in
Indoor and outdoor environment; lift, carry, push, pull or move up to 100 lbs.; stand, walk, sit,
kneel, squat, crawl, stoop, bend, climb; use repetitive twisting/pressure involving wrists/hands;
work with arms above shoulder level; repetitive use of hand, arm, shoulder; talk and hear normal
conversation; exposed to temperature changes; work in damp or wet areas; frequently have
hands in water; close/distance vision and depth perception; may be exposed to airborne particles,
strong odors, fumes, chemicals, toxic materials; work around moving vehicles; exposed to minor
contagious diseases; have direct contact with students, district staff, site administrators, general
public; work independently; work with tools, power tools and equipment (e.g. turf vac, hand
blower) with noise levels up to 96.5 dB; eye and ear protection may be required.
SALARY RANGE: 59 Custodian
*Additional 1% differential pay for working night shift if the night
shift is the employee’s permanent schedule.*
ADOPTED BY PERSONNEL COMMISSION: May 21, 2012
APPROVED BY BOARD OF EDUCATION: May 22, 2012