Job Description / Essential Elements:
Palm Springs Unified School District
A.R. # 4232.348
HIGH SCHOOL FINANCIAL CLERK
The High School Financial Clerk provides an array of fiscal services for student body and school site activities; conveys and updates fiscal information; ensures that fiscal practices are followed and disbursement of funds are in accordance with established guidelines.
• Collects student fees and funds from student events (e.g. ticket sales, yearbook purchases, student store, extracurricular activities, etc.).
• Maintains manual and electronic documents, files and records (e.g. fines, statements, student activities, work schedules, purchase orders, budgets, etc.).
• Prepares a variety of financial reports and statements (e.g. purchase orders, checks, budgets, sales logs, collection letters, memos, deposits, reports master calendars, schedules, etc.).
• Prepares cash box and deposits from school activities.
• Processes a variety of fiscal information (e.g. deposits, purchase orders, postings, fine balances, petty cash, etc.).
• Reconciles receipts and account balances.
• Researches discrepancies of financial information and/or documentation (e.g. purchase orders, invoices, etc.).
• Responds to inquires (e.g. students, parents, vendors, staff, public, etc.).
• Assists outside auditors.
• Compiles a variety of information (e.g. permission slips, timecards, logs, contracts, etc.).
• Reviews a variety of information (e.g. contracts, timecards, receipts, etc.).
• Schedules work assignments (e.g. ticket takers, chaperones, etc.).
• Trains student workers and ticket sellers.
• Performs record keeping and program specific clerical functions (e.g. copying, faxing, filing, etc.).
• Assists other personnel.
• Attends in-service trainings, staff meetings, workshops, etc. as requested.
• Performs related duties as assigned.
JOB REQUIREMENTS: MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Any combination of experience and training which would indicate possession of the knowledge, skills, and abilities listed above. An example of an acceptable combination is:
Equivalent to graduation from high school and three years of responsible office clerical experience, including at least one year of experience in bookkeeping, financial, or similar record-keeping involving independent responsibilities.
SKILLS to perform routine accounting clerical duties in te maintenance of assigned accounting records; verify, balance, and adjust accounts; track, reconcile information between accounts and ledgers; proofread details accurately, noting and detecting errors; prepare correspondence; record incoming information; maintain statistical and financial records; prepare a variety of reports; operate standard office equipment including using pertinent software applications; perform standard bookkeeping; maintain accurate records.
KNOWLEDGE of accounting/bookkeeping principles; pertinent computer software applications, including spreadsheets; preparation of financial statements and comprehensive accounting reports; financial/statistical record keeping.
ABILITY to type at a speed of 35 words per minute from clear copy; be attentive to detail; communicate with diverse groups; meet deadlines and schedules; work with frequent interruptions; work with detailed information/data; understand and follow oral and written directions; establish and maintain effective working relationships; work as part of a team; understand and be sensitive to the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, and ethnic backgrounds of vendors, district personnel and administrators; maintain consistent, punctual and regular attendance.
WORKING ENVIRONMENT/PHYSICAL DEMANDS
The usual and customary methods of performing the job's functions require the following physical demands: some lifting, carrying, pushing, and/or pulling; and significant fine finger dexterity. Generally the job requires 70% sitting, 15% walking, and 15% standing. This job is performed in a generally clean and healthy environment.
Education High School diploma or equivalent.
Required Testing Certificates
Job-Related Proficiency Examination Valid Driver’s License and Evidence of Insurability (desired)
Typing certificate providing proof of ability to type 35 WPM
Continuing Education/Training Clearances
None Specified Criminal Justice Fingerprint/Background Clearance
Performance of this job will be evaluated in accordance with provisions of the Collective Bargaining Agreement between California Teamsters Public, Professional & Medical Employees Union, Local 911 General Employees Unit and Palm Springs Unified School District.
FLSA Status Bargaining Unit Salary Range BOE Approval Date
Non Exempt Teams 2 25 11/27/07