Under general supervision performs a variety of duties for the custodial and maintenance departments. Drives a delivery truck over a designated route to pick up and distribute U.S. mail, inter-school mail, materials, supplies and equipment.
Performs other related duties in the receiving, inspecting, processing and storing of materials, supplies and equipment in the District warehouse and to do other related work, as required.
Examples of Duties
- Prepare, coordinate the annual central inventory, and prepare reports according to auditor’s recommendations;
- Make minor non-technical repairs;
- Replace lights;
- Pick up paper and other debris on grounds and walkways and dispose of such;
- Raise and lower flags, unlock and lock doors and gates;
- Performs special custodial work upon request by supervisor;
- Assist in the thorough cleaning and restoration of a school plan during school vacations;
- Sets up for meetings and events;
- Sets or turns off security devices and alarms;
- Assembles furniture and equipment;
- Maintains Material Safety Date Sheets (MSDS) for warehouse materials and supplies;
- Loads a delivery vehicle with a variety of supplies, materials, equipment and mail;
- Assists in conducting warehouse and site inventory reviews and in maintaining inventory control procedures;
- Fills supply orders and requisitions, marks for delivery;
- Plans and participates in cleaning custodial and routine maintenance functions for assigned buildings and other facilities;
- Cleans rest rooms, offices, and related facilities;
- Sweep, mop, scrub, wax, and polish floors;
- Vacuums rugs and carpets;
- Dusts and polishes furniture and woodwork;
- Refills soap, towel and tissue dispensers;
- Washes windows, walls, tables, and benches.
Operate a motor vehicle with either a standard or automatic transmission; perform duties without close supervision; communicate effectively in oral and written forms; understand and follow oral and written instructions in an independent manner; read and write English at a level required for successful performance; make simple arithmetical calculations; safely operate equipment, materials, and chemicals; meet the physical requirements necessary to safely and effectively perform required duties; establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the performance of required duties.
Methods, systems, and record keeping procedures used in receiving, storing and delivery of supplies and equipment, warehouse procedures, requisitioning, purchase orders, invoices and delivery slips and the purpose and functions of each; safe and efficient procedures for truck operation, loading and delivery. Inventory methods, procedures and record keeping; appropriate techniques for lifting and/or carrying supplies; safety rules and regulations for this position.
Education and Experience:
High school diploma or equivalent; one year experience in warehouse receiving in a private company or public agency preferably with one year of experience in planning and scheduling work for a large facility.
Licenses and/or Certiciates:
Possession of a valid and appropriate California Driver’s License, and forklift operator’s license.
Proof of Tuberculosis clearance prior to employment, and every four years thereafter; fingerprint clearance by the California Department of Justice.
Physical Demands and Working Conditions:
Essential physical requirements, which the candidate must possess, are indicated with an “E”.
- Visual ability to read handwritten or typed documents, instructions. E
- Able to conduct verbal conversation. E
- Able to hear normal range verbal conversation (approximately 60 decibels). E
- Able to sit, stand, stoop, kneel, bend and walk.
- Able to climb slopes, stairs, steps, ramps and ladders.
- Able to push and/or pull a variety of tools and equipment weighing up to 50 pounds. E
- Able to lift up to 50 pounds frequently. E
- Able to sustain strenuous manual labor for 1 hour.
- Able to exhibit full range of motion for shoulder abduction and adduction.
- Able to exhibit full range of motion for elbow flexion and extension.
- Able to exhibit full range of motion for shoulder extension and flexion.
- Able to exhibit full range of motion for back lateral flexion.
- Able to exhibit full range of motion for hip flexion and extension.
- Able to exhibit full range of motion for knee flexion.
- Able to use respirators for personal protection, up to 1 hour per day, strenuous physical effort; 1 hour per day, moderate physical effort; 1 hour per day, light physical effort. E
- Able to work at various elevated heights in a safe and effective manner. E
- Able to work in restricted spaces in a safe and effective manner.
- Able to demonstrate manual dexterity necessary to perform fine maintenance procedures and operate both manual and power hand tools in a safe and effective manner. E
- Able to work with cleaning solutions, disinfectants, sanitizers and chemicals in a safe and effective manner without allergic reaction. E
- Able to operate a variety of powered and manual equipment commonly found in janitorial and custodial services in a safe and effective manner. E
While the ideal candidate will possess all these abilities, duties assigned can be modified to accommodate some physical restrictions.
Employment Status: Bargaining unit position/agency shop.
Board Approved: 8/22/00