Job Description / Essential Elements:
Under the supervision of the Assistant Superintendent or designee, and under the direction and coordination of the School Nurse, the Licensed Vocational Nurse (LVN) assists with the health services program at all schools in accordance with state law, and District policies and procedures. When working at a specific school site, the LVN is also under the general supervision of the school site administrator.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
• Assists with the implementation of health screening such as hearing, vision, and scoliosis.
• Prepares, gathers and maintains health records as needed and as directed by the supervisor.
• Participates in the development and implementation of patient care plans for diabetic students and/or students with specified health needs.
• Observes and reports patient conditions, relevant behaviors, vital signs and nursing care measures to the school nurse.
• Documents all patient observations, care provided, and the patient’s response to care in accordance with unit standards; maintains confidentiality of patient information as appropriate.
• Administers injections and/or medication, as ordered by a physician, following appropriate policies & procedures, and is proactive in preventing medication errors.
• Provides first aid.
• Assists in the achievement of department goals/objectives, maintains good employee relations, and provide excellent service.
• Performs other related duties as assigned or requested.
• Interpersonal skills to interact effectively with patients, families and staff.
• Enhances professional growth and development through participation in educational programs, current literature, in-services meetings, and workshops, including First Aid and cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR).
• General knowledge of tools, materials, equipment and procedures to meet the District’s health services program.
• Ability to problem solve, work independently, organize, prioritize and coordinate tasks using professional judgment, standard procedures and compliance with District policy.
• Listen, speak, read, comprehend and write/type sufficiently to successfully receive/provide information to/from staff, the public, co-workers, supervisors, etc.
• Maintain valid driver’s license, have own transportation, and willingness to travel throughout the District and to off-site locations as needed.
EXPERINCE AND EDUCATION
• Graduation from an accredited School of Vocational Nursing or its equivalent
• Sufficient previous clinical experience in related nursing area preferred
• Current CA LVN license
• Current Basic Life Support (BLS) with American Heart Association
• Intravenous therapy certification
• Current CPR certification
• Meets deadlines for all competencies and required education
• Experience working with public schools, pediatrics, health care or related agencies preferred