Job Description / Essential Elements:
JOB TITLE: Custodian
Job Purpose Statement/s: The job of "Custodian " is done for the purpose/s of maintaining an attractive, sanitary and safe facility; providing adequate arrangements for meetings, classroom activities and events; and minimizing property damage, loss and liability exposure.
Essential Job Functions:
• Arranges furnishings and equipment for the purpose of providing adequate preparations for meetings, classroom activities and events.
• Cleans school facilities (i.e. classrooms, offices, multipurpose rooms, kitchen, restrooms, grounds, etc.) for the purpose of maintaining a sanitary, safe and attractive environment.
• Conducts safety inspection (e.g. gas, emergency egress, locked doors, etc.) for the purpose of ensuring the safety and welfare of the students and staff.
• Delivers variety of items (e.g. supplies, mail, packages, furniture, etc.) for the purpose of distributing the materials to the appropriate parties.
• Informs students, other site personnel and supervisor for the purpose of providing information regarding activities, safety and/or proper maintenance of facilities.
• Maintains assigned equipment (e.g. shampooer, waxer, vacuum, etc.) for the purpose of ensuring availability of equipment in operating condition.
• Monitors students as may be requested for the purpose of ensuring safety on the playground, halls, cafeteria, and gym.
• Requests equipment and supplies for the purpose of maintaining inventory and ensuring availability of maintenance and operational items as needed to properly maintain facilities.
• Secures facilities and grounds for the purpose of minimizing property damage, loss and liability and ensuring safety at work site.
• Waters planted areas for the purpose of preserving grounds in a healthy, attractive and safe condition.
Other Job Functions:
• Assembles furniture and equipment for the purpose of providing items in working condition.
• Assists other personnel as may be required for the purpose of supporting them in the completion of their work activities.
• Directs others, (e.g. summer workers, Youth Employees, etc.) for the purpose of assigning and monitoring work.
• Paints various surfaces (e.g. ball courts, graffiti, etc.) for the purpose of maintaining facilities in an attractive and functional condition.
• Repairs furniture and equipment, making basic repairs, for the purpose of ensuring that items are available and in safe working condition including building and assembling equipment.
Job Requirements - Qualifications:
• Experience: Prior job-related experience in school or institutional setting highly desired.
• Skills, Knowledge and/or Abilities Required:
Skills to use English in both written and verbal form; equipment operation in a proper and safe manner; intervention techniques for emergency situations; machines, equipment, tools and work aids utilized in the trade: vacuum, waxer, etc.; problem solving techniques; records maintenance.
Knowledge to perform basic math; to read instructions, write simple sentences and speak correctly; to apply common sense understanding of basic instructions.
Abilities used in dealing with people beyond receiving work and instructions; making judgments and decisions; performing repetitive or short-cycle work; performing a variety of duties involving frequent changes of tasks, aptitudes, techniques, procedures, etc.; working alone or apart in physical isolation from others. Significant physical abilities include walking for prolonged periods, lifting/carrying/pushing/pulling, stooping, reaching/ handling, near/far visual acuity/depth perception.
• Education Required: High School diploma or equivalent.
• Licenses, Certifications, Bonding, and/or Testing Required: Tuberculosis Screening, Criminal Justice Fingerprint Clearance.
• Other: Valid driver’s license (may be required by position). Job-related proficiency test (may be required by position).
SUMMARY OF PHYSICAL DEMANDS RATINGS
JOB TITLE: Custodian
The following analysis entails an evaluation of the "Physical Demands" factors of the job as it exists. This method provides a basis for permitting modification to fit the capabilities and needs of workers with disabilities.
Rating Symbol Key:
NP= Not Present - Does not exist
S= Seldom - Under 5% of Work Day
O= Occasionally - Up to 1/3 Time
F= Frequently - From 1/3 to 2/3 Time
C= Constantly - 2/3 or More Time
A. Standing 20%
B. Lifting F 50 lbs.
Carrying F 50 lbs.
Pushing O 100 lbs.
Pulling O 100 lbs.
2. CLIMBING O
3. STOOPING C
4. REACHING C
Other Sounds F
Acuity, Near C
Acuity, Far C
Depth Perception F
Color Vision S
Field of Vision F
7. PHYSICAL DEMANDS RATING SUMMARY: Heavy work: 2 (3) (4) (5) (6) (DOL Physical Demand Categories 1 to 6 are very significant to the customary performance of the job if contained in parenthesis)
8. PHYSICAL DEMAND COMMENTS: Examples of lifting/carrying/pushing/pulling are furniture, waste baskets, dumpsters, ladders, floor polishers, vacuums; stooping is trash, sweeping, vacuuming; reaching/handling are vacuum, supplies, broom; visual acuity/depth perception is seeing where to clean, vandalism.
SUMMARY OF ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS RATINGS
JOB TITLE: Custodian
The following analysis represents evaluation of the surroundings in which the job is performed. Environmental Conditions must by definition be specific and related to the job.
Rating Symbol Key:
NP = Not Present - Does not exist
S = Seldom - Under 5% of Work Day
O = Occasionally - Up to 1/3 Time
F = Frequently - From 1/3 to 2/3 Time
C = Constantly - 2/3 or More Time
1. ENVIRONMENT: Ambient temperatures may range from winters' 25? to summers' 115?.
Inside 60% Outside 40%
2. EXTREME COLD S
. EXTREME HEAT S
4. WET/HUMID F
5. NOISE (IN DECIBELS) 120 decibels
Radiant Energy NP
Other Hazard/ S
7. ATMOSPHERIC CONDITIONS:
Poor Ventilation S
Other Atmospheric Hazards S
8. PROTECTIVE CLOTHING - DEVICES: Dust mask, back support, Latex gloves, safety glasses, ear protection
9. E. C. SUMMARY: Inside and Outside Work 2 3 (4) (5) 6 (7) Numbers encircled by () indicate significant involvement of factors enumerated and rated above.