Job Description / Essential Elements:
FREMONT UNION HIGH SCHOOL DISTRICT
CLASS TITLE: GROUNDSKEEPER Range 54 245 Duty Days
Under the direction of the School Facilities Supervisor, perform gardening and routine maintenance of school grounds and athletic fields. Understand and work effectively with people from different cultures.
· Plant trees, grass, and shrubs, and hand spray for control of diseases and insects; water trees, lawns, and shrubs; prune trees and shrubs; control weeds; rake leaves and lawns.
· Sweep sidewalks; pick up rubbish and paper in perimeter areas and clean grounds as assigned.
· Operate small lawn mowers, edgers, sweepers, rototillers, blowers, hedge trimmers, seed spreaders, and aerators; perform routine maintenance on assigned equipment to assure safe operating condition; report need for repair.
· Load and unload trucks and transport material.
· Assist in preparing grounds for special events; review grounds for possible safety hazards; make necessary alterations to remove hazards.
· Assist in the adjusting and repairing of sprinklers; assist in lining and marking athletic fields as required; mix and pour cement.
· Transport supplies and equipment on campus, and to and from the District office and other school sites.
· Perform related duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES:
Basic grounds maintenance procedures including mowing, edging, raking and weeding.
Methods, equipment and materials used in gardening and groundskeeping work.
Planting and cutting procedures.
Safety regulations and proper procedures.
GROUNDSKEEPER PAGE TWO
Perform gardening and routine maintenance of school grounds and athletic fields.
Follow oral instructions.
Work cooperatively with others.
Operate small lawn mowers, edgers, sweepers, rototillers, blowers, hedge trimmers, seed spreaders, and aerators.
Perform routine maintenance on assigned equipment to assure safe operating condition.
Assist others in specialized groundskeeping activities.
Lift objects weighing up to 50 pounds.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
A High School Diploma or its equivalent supplemented by sufficient training and experience to demonstrate the knowledge and abilities listed above including six months experience in farming or gardening work.
LICENSES AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS:
Valid California driver's license. Fingerprint clearance from the Department of Justice.
Work involves lifting, climbing, pushing; work outside; dust and dirt; fumes from equipment; noise from equipment; push and pull risers; work with power equipment may be hazardous.