FOOD SERVICE WORKER
Under direct supervision, assist in the preparation, cooking, baking, packaging, and serving of foods and supplies in a school cafeteria and snack center facility; and perform related duties as required.
EXAMPLES OF ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Prepare steam tables and serving areas for food service;
2. Fill silverware containers, napkin dispensers, condiments, etc;
3. Assist in the preparation of main dishes;
4. Prepare and/or cook fruits, vegetables, salads, salad dressing and baked goods such as donuts, cookies, pies, cakes and tarts;
5. Prepare fruit juices, milk, coffee, iced tea, and hot chocolate;
6. Serve cafeteria meals and snack food items;
7. Serve as cashier;
8. Operate mixers, disposals, and other mechanical kitchen equipment;
9. Assist in cleaning, preparing, and storing foods and supplies;
10. Participate in general cafeteria clean-up, including cleaning steam tables, ovens, service and eating areas, pots and pans, trays, kitchen utensils, and mechanical kitchen equipment; and,
11. Observe health and sanitation requirements.
KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES:
1. Knowledge of food preparation methods, such as washing, cutting, mixing, measuring and assembling foods and ingredients;
2. Knowledge of basic weights and measures used in food preparation;
3. Knowledge of proper methods of cooking and baking simple foods in quantity;
4. Knowledge of the use of basic kitchen utensils;
5. Knowledge of applicable health, sanitation, and safety requirements;
6. Ability to operate a cash register, handle money, and make change when serving as cashier;
7. Ability to use and care for food service utensils and mechanical kitchen equipment;
8. Ability to perform work efficiently during rush conditions;
9. Ability to follow verbal and written instructions;
10. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with others; and,
11. Ability to lift and carry 35 pounds without assistance.
1. Graduation from high school.
2. Any combination of training, education, and experience that demonstrates an ability to perform food service duties. A typical entrance background is completion of informal training in food preparation and service; or,
3. Experience performing routine food preparation and serving duties.