Job Description / Essential Elements:
OPTIONS FOR YOUTH
Job Title: Temp on Call Teacher Dept: Academic Recovery Work Class: Professional
Reports To: Lead Teacher or Other Designated Supervisor FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
On-Call Substitute Teacher’s primary responsibility is to substitute teach our students with a personalized learning plan, making adjustments to match the students’ ability levels and pace of learning. Will accept and correct student work for assigned teacher of record. Will assess students’ educational needs, abilities, interests, motivation, learning styles and demonstrated achievement to implement an educational program that instills in students the knowledge and skills necessary to achieve their goals, including, but not limited to, obtaining a high school diploma.
The primary goal of this position is to support and carry out the instructional leadership team goals of 100% retention, 100% CAHSEE pass rates and all charters achieve a 9 or 10 compared to similar schools in a state wide average. Provides direct instructional support.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF POSITION INCLUDE, BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO:
• Instructs students in multiple subjects, using various teaching methods, technology and other materials.
• Handles assigned duties from teachers and carries out their requests with their students.
• Follows prepared outline for course of study, following curriculum guidelines or requirements of state and school. May tutor, help or advise students as requested.
• Administers tests to evaluate pupil progress, assesses student work product and records results.
• Keeps attendance records and maintains student files for assigned teacher and transcripts as needed.
• May meet with students and parents to discuss student progress and problems when appropriate.
• May participates in various teacher training workshops as assigned.
• Assists other teachers while on assignment.
• Under the guidance of mentor, may counsel students in adjustment and academic problems.
• Keeps the assigned teacher aware of any student problem and or issues.
• Performs other administrative functions and duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
• Ability to communicate effectively, verbally and in writing, with students, parents, co-workers and business contacts in a courteous and professional manner.
• Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
• Ability to work as a team player with colleagues and administrators.
• Ability to work independently and efficiently, exercising reasonable judgement, in a fast-paced, multi-task environment with minimal supervision.
• Ability to teach and delegate responsibility to students.
• While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, use hands to finger, handle, or feel, reach with hands and arms, climb or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl, and taste or smell. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
• Ability to travel as needed.
• Assists with other projects, functions and duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES PREFERRED:
• Proficient computer knowledge and previous experience with Microsoft software.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
• Minimum BA degree or equivalent. Prefer teaching credential.
• California Teaching Certificate (minimum of 30-day Emergency Credential).
• OFY Substitute Teacher Training (In-House)
*The specific statements shown in each section of this description are not intended to be all-inclusive. They describe the general nature and level of work being performed and/or represent typical elements and criteria considered necessary to successfully perform the job. The Company retains the discretion to add to or change the duties of the position at any time.