Under the supervision of the site administrator, incumbents supervise student behavior on the school campus, identify potential problems regarding the welfare and safety of students, personnel, visitors and/or site, enforce disciplinary policies, maintain simple records and do other related work as required. Positions in this class report directly to a certificated administrator and are assigned routine duties related to the control of student and non-student behavior on a school campus. Incumbents must learn and use good judgment in the application of District and school policies to each situation as it arises. Successful performance in this class requires that the incumbent be able to establish rapport and gain the respect of students, to control student behavior in routine classroom and non-classroom activities, and to identify and handle the presence of unauthorized individuals on the campus.
· Observe and control student behavior when students are not under direct guidance of a teacher, including, but not limited to, before school activities, lunch time activities, after school activities, during recess, and as assigned, dances and athletic events.
· Patrol campus and maintain high level of visibility and project a positive and pleasant demeanor.
· Instruct students in proper, safe and lawful campus behavior.
· Assist teachers with disruptive students in the classroom.
· Observe, control and report violations of law, school rules and damage to school property.
· Report disturbances, accidents and/or emergencies immediately to the school office.
· Respond to potential emergencies, alarm calls, bomb threats, fights, etc., for the purpose of ensuring safety of students, personnel and property.
· May administer first aid for the purpose of providing emergency care until medical personnel arrives.
· At the direction of an administrator, contact parents, schools, law enforcement agencies and other groups to give or obtain information related to student attendance, student behavior, and other job-related items.
· Identify, control and, as necessary, report presence of non-students on campus.
· Direct campus visitors to proper offices.
· Maintain simple records.
· Make detailed reports of job activities.
· May supervise restrooms, locker rooms, cafeterias, lunchrooms, playground areas and parking lots.
· Participate in professional development activities.
· Other duties as assigned by administration.
Valid and appropriate California Driver’s License is required.
· Basic safety rules and habits.
· Basic principles of first aid including AED assisted CPR.
· School lock down procedures.
· Learn and apply, with good judgment, District and school policies related to student behavior, activities and student discipline.
· Control the behavior and activities of students in a wide variety of situations.
· Diffuse potentially volatile situations.
· Operate a two way radio to communicate with school office and/or personnel.
· Establish effective working relationships with students, staff, parents, community.
· Maintain confidentiality.
· Communicate effectively orally and in writing.
· Follow oral and written directions.
Prior experience working with children, paid or volunteer, is desirable.
High School Diploma or equivalent.
Spanish speaking is desirable.
- Outdoor environment: constant walking to patrol campuses and supervise students.
- Drive a personal vehicle to conduct work; visit school sites; travel to other organizations and companies; meetings and workshops.
- Wear District provided uniform.
· Ability to climb stairs and walk outdoors in all weather conditions for extended periods of time.
· Visions to correctly identify persons and objects from a distance.
· Hearing and speaking to conduct group training, exchange information in person electronically, and on the telephone.
· Ability to read printed matter and computer screens.
· Ability to understand speech at normal levels.
· Ability to lift and carry 30 pounds.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Revised 7/14/08, 7/7/11