Under immediate direction of the Nutrition Services Lead, prepare and serve food in a school cafeteria; maintain food service facilities in a clean and sanitary condition; perform related duties as assigned.
Employees with minimal experience in food services may be trained on all duties to be assigned. Position incumbents work under immediate direction of the Nutrition Services Lead and perform duties according to prescribed methods and practices.
1. Prepare vegetables, fruit, meat, and other foods for cooking; prepare salads, sandwiches, desserts, and beverages.
2. Assist in preparation and cooking entrees and baking bread and pastries; check recipes to estimate quantities of ingredients.
3. Set up steam tables and apportion and arrange food for serving; serve lunches and snacks for students and faculty.
4. Operate dishwasher and clean and store dishes, utensils, food service equipment, and food supplies; clean and disinfect work areas and dispose of refuse.
5. Receive inventory and stack supplies (including freezer temperature areas); may collect money and make change for food and beverage purchases.
6. Prepare and package food for delivery to other school locations.
7. Serve food in a food distribution line.
8. Count and stock food on lunch carts and maintain records of items received and sold.
Incumbents must be able to perform essential functions 1-8 with or without reasonable accommodation.
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Six (6) months of experience performing work involving food preparation using standard kitchen tools and equipment.
- Methods of organization and food preparation including salads, sandwiches, and simple desserts.
- Safe practices of lifting and moving materials.
- Basic kitchen appliances and utensils.
- Sanitary requirements in food preparation.
- Basic arithmetic.
- Prefer computer knowledge including Microsoft office and basic data entry.
- Follow oral and written directions.
- Make basic arithmetical calculations needed to measure quantities.
- Learn to operate food preparation appliances found in school cafeterias.
- Learn basic procedures, methods, and equipment used in preparing and serving large quantities of food.
- Maintain harmonious working relations with school officials, school employees, and students.
- Work with a point of sales system.
- Work in all services areas of the Student Nutrition Department (Cafeteria, Snack bar, and Food services carts.
- Stamina sufficient to stand for long periods of time.
- Manual dexterity sufficient to handle cooking tools and operate kitchen appliances.
- Physical strength sufficient to push, carry, and lift large and heavy (30 lbs.) boxes, sacks of food, pots, and kettles.
- Work in cold and freezer temperature areas.
- Operate a food services cart.
- Requires pre-employment clearance (fingerprint and tuberculosis)
Variable Only - 4 Hours per day
Range 123 (2012-13 Salary Schedule), Step A - $14.04 per hour
No fringe benefits for substitute position.
By closing date above, interested outside applicants and interested District employees must submit a completed application form through www.edjoin.org. If you have any questions on applying or attaching documentation, please contact the EDJOIN Support Desk at (888)900-8945.
District employees will be considered on these posted criteria and District policy regarding training, experience, and previous work record. Employees requesting transfer will be considered on these posted criteria, training, experience, and previous work record, including attendance.
Reasonable accommodations may be made, upon request, to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the above stated essential functions and the application procedure.
For more information, please visit www.smuhsd.org