Job Description / Essential Elements:
PLACER UNION HIGH SCHOOL DISTRICT
JOB TITLE: Nurse
Job Purpose Statement/s: The job of "Nurse" is done for the purpose/s of meeting the individual health needs of students; incorporating health care plans directed by physicians; complying with the laws relating to student health, including parental and guardian consent; providing appropriate care for ill, medically fragile and/or injured students; providing health information and serving as a resource to teachers, staff, and administrators; identifying health problems for referral for proper treatment.
Essential Job Functions:
* Administers first aid, medication and specialized medical treatment for the purpose of providing appropriate care for ill, medically fragile and/or injured children.
* Assesses situations involving students’ safety, abuse (physical, sexual, drug) and other health related issues for the purpose of identifying problems, referring for proper treatment and complying with legal requirements.
* Collaborates with parents, students, health care providers, and/or other agencies for the purpose of promoting needed treatment, securing information and complying with legal requirements.
* Conducts programs (i.e. health screening, education, etc.) for the purpose of complying with the law.
* Develops health care plans for the purpose of addressing students’ health needs and implementing health care directions from parents and/or physicians.
* Directs and trains staff for the purpose of providing an effective school health program.
* Maintains health care plans, medical emergency cards, records (e.g. mandated screening, etc.) for the purpose of providing information required by legal and professional standards.
* Prepares documentation (e.g. student health history, current health status, etc.) for the purpose of providing written support and/or conveying information.
* Provides training on various health related subjects (e.g. CPR, disaster preparedness, child abuse, health education, etc.) for the purpose of acting as a resource to students, teachers, and other school personnel on such issues.
* Refers students requiring further medical attention for the purpose of providing needed medical/dental treatment, counseling, etc.
* Reports incidents (e.g. fights, suspected child abuse, suspected substance abuse, etc.) for the purpose of maintaining students personal safety, a positive learning environment and adhering to Education Code, district and/or school policies.
Reports students with contagious diseases to local public health authorities for the purpose of minimizing infection and complying with the law.
Supervises review of immunization records for legal requirements and updates.
Other Job Functions:
Assists other personnel as may be required for the purpose of supporting them in the completion of their work activities.
Job Requirements - Qualifications:
* Experience Required: Prior job related experience.
* Skills, Knowledge and/or Abilities Required:
Skills to operate required health screening equipment and administer health screening tests, maintain records, communicate effectively.
Knowledge of health diagnostic and evaluative techniques, health care practices, health rules and regulations, record keeping requirements and child development patterns.
Abilities to sit for prolonged periods, administer to medical needs, respond appropriately to medical emergencies, work independently. Significant physical abilities include lifting/carrying, reaching/handling/ fingering, talking/hearing conversation and other sounds, near/far visual acuity.
* Licenses, Certifications, Bonding, and/or Testing Required: Registered Nurse, Appropriate Health Services Credential/s, Criminal Justice Fingerprint Clearance, Valid Driver’s License and proof of insurability, TB clearance. CA School Nurse Credential, B.A., B.S., B.S.N. Degree, Audiometric Certificate, Current CPR and First Aid certification.
Board Approved 5/15/2001