CLASS TITLE: 1426 SENIOR CLERK TYPIST BILINGUAL ENGLISH - SPANISH
CHARACTERISTICS OF THE CLASS:
Under general supervision, performs difficult and specialized typing and office clerical work in connection with the preparation and maintenance of a wide variety of operating, financial, purchasing, accounting and similar records and reports; may supervise a small group of subordinate typing and clerical personnel engaged in varied clerical work; and performs related duties as required.
This position requires fluency in English and Spanish.
Requires responsibility for: interpreting, carrying out and enforcing existing departmental methods and procedures in connection with office operations; making regular contacts with other departmental personnel, the general public and outside organizations relative to office operations; preparing, checking and reviewing detailed and important office operational records and reports.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES:
1. May assign, supervise and review the work of subordinate clerical typing personnel in the performance of routine and somewhat varied clerical tasks.
2. May supervise and participate in the maintenance of a large variety of detailed clerical records, reports and similar materials.
3. Independently composes correspondence relative to standard or routine office operations.
4. Compiles and condenses technical and statistical data from various sources which requires an understanding of problems and terminology involved and relevant rules and regulations governing such activities.
5. Types accounting and financial statements, letters, contracts, pay-rolls, receipt vouchers, departmental reports, permits and similar materials, frequently requiring the use of independent judgment.
6. May compose and type routine correspondence requiring knowledge of departmental operations and regulations; receives and interviews the general public in connection with providing information of departmental activities.
7. Examines applicants for permits and licenses; prepares a wide variety of forms relative to departmental operations; may receive and account for moderate amounts of money.
8. Posts a variety of information and data in connection with the maintenance of office records; codes correspondence for files; assembles materials and information from various sources relative to the typing of various reports.
9. Operates various office machines such as duplicating, mimeograph and ditto machines.
10. Receives and transmits complaints to field representatives of field crews for follow-up actions.
11. Checks and reviews a variety of documents for sufficiency and conformance to established standards and requirements.
Training and Experience: Requires completion of high school, preferably with courses in commercial and typing subjects, supplemented by at least five years of progressively responsible and diversified clerical and typing experience, including some supervisory experience; or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
Knowledge, Abilities and Skills: Requires considerable knowledge of: modern office methods and procedures; modern business English, spelling and arithmetic; the operations of common office machines and equipment.
Requires considerable ability to: use good judgment in making routine decisions in accordance with existing laws, ordinances, regulations and departmental policies and procedures; establish and maintain satisfactory working relationships with departmental personnel and the public.
Requires sufficient skill in typing to complete 50 net words per minute.