Job Description / Essential Elements:
MURRIETA VALLEY UNIFIED SCHOOL DISTRICT 8/25/99
JOB DESCRIPTION Page 1 of 4
TITLE: SCHOOL BUS DRIVER
1. Provisions of the California Motor Vehicle Code, the California State Education Code, District policies and requirements, and other related regulations relative to the operation of vehicles used in transporting students.
2. Local traffic laws and regulations, including the working knowledge of local transportation corridors and geography.
3. Basic first aid practices, procedures, and techniques.
4. Bus and vehicle safety checks and preventive maintenance requirements.
5. Supervision and control of student passengers.
6. Safe driving practices.
7. Safety rules and regulations for this position.
1. Safely and efficiently drive and operate a variety of vehicles and equipment used.
2. Learn to operate a two-way radio.
3. Exercise good judgment and extreme caution when driving.
4. Maintain valid certification as a school bus driver according to state regulations.
5. Pass first aid requirements prescribed by the California Department of Motor Vehicles.
6. Establish and maintain proper student conduct in all school vehicles.
7. Understand and carry out verbal and written instructions, policies, and procedures in an independent manner.
8. Communicate effectively and tactfully in both verbal and written form.
9. Maintain cooperative-working relationships with all District personnel.
10. Follow designated safety regulations associated with this position.
11. Safely drive and operate a variety of vehicles and equipment used.
12. Read and write at a level sufficient to perform required duties.
13. Be a productive and active team member.
14. Work successfully with diverse groups of people.
15. Present and maintain a pleasant appearance and demeanor.
16. Learn and follow the operations, procedures, policies, and requirements of an assigned program or operational unit.
17. Handle all matters in a tactful, courteous, and confidential manner so as to maintain and/or establish good public relations.
18. Work independently and maintain high standards of workmanship, including maintenance of confidentiality.
19. Exercise independent judgment and problem-solving skills related to specific areas of responsibility.
20. Establish and maintain effective work relationships with those contacted in the performance of required duties.
Training and Experience
1. Equivalent to completion of the twelfth (12th) grade.
2. Possession and maintenance of a State School Bus Driver’s Certificate.
3. Minimum of two (2) years of successful driving experience with a demonstrated record of safe driving, or experience as School Bus Driver and possession of a safe driving record that is in compliance with the restrictions set forth by the California Vehicle Code.
4. A work history demonstrating dependability and reliability.
REPORTS TO: Director of Transportation
JOB GOAL: To transport students to and from school and school-related activities within designated routes and to ensure the safety of the students while passengers in the school vehicle.
1. Drives a school transportation vehicle within prescribed routes in accordance with time schedules, picking up and discharging students at designated stops.
2. Escorts and assists students on and off vehicle and across the street when necessary.
3. Transports students and teachers on field trips to various locations, following designated routes supplied by dispatcher.
4. Maintains order and proper discipline of student passengers according to district policy, instructs students on safety regulations and policies related to passenger conduct.
5. Conducts safety and operations inspection of assigned vehicle daily according to established procedures.
6. Checks fluid and air levels on bus as required; adding fuel, water, fluids, or air as necessary.
7. Maintains cleanliness of vehicle to ensure safe operating condition; sweeps and washes bus interior and exterior as required.
8. Checks out and immediately reports needed mechanical repairs when necessary.
9. Maintains accurate records including student counts, time sheets, mileage, repair requests,, discipline notices, etc., preparing reports as necessary.
10. Performs standard bus driving duties as required.
11. Follows District policies and procedures.
12. Participates in District in-service training as required.
13. Knows and understands the Mission and Core Values of the District.
14. Performs other related duties as required.
1. Attends various meetings regarding safety, first aid, training, updates, etc. as required.
2. Attends driver-training programs to maintain current knowledge of California Motor Vehicle Code and the California State Education Code related to the operation of vehicles in the transportation of school children.
3. Assures security of buses at all times following procedures prescribed by the district.
4. Evacuates vehicle in a safe and timely manner when necessary and conducts periodic drills for same when required by law; completing necessary reports upon request.
1. Able to meet minimum physical requirements as prescribed by the California Department of Motor Vehicles.
2. Visual ability to read handwritten or typed documents, and the display screen of various office equipment and machines.
3. Able to conduct verbal conversation in English.
4. Able to hear normal range verbal conversation (approximately 60 decibels.)
5. Able to sustain constant attention to vehicle operation, and traffic and road conditions while maintaining appropriate student passenger behavior for four (4) hours at a time.
6. Able to sit, stand, stoop, kneel, bend, and walk.
7. Able to sit for sustained periods of time.
8. Able to climb slopes, stairs, steps, ramps, and ladders.
9. Able to lift up to twenty (20) pounds frequently, and forty (40) pounds occasionally.
10. Able to carry up to twenty (20) pounds frequently, and forty (40) pounds occasionally.
11. Able to exhibit a shoulder external rotation and internal rotation range of motion capable of reaching and operating bus and communications controls.
12. Able to exhibit a shoulder abduction and adduction range of motion capable of reaching and operating bus and communications controls.
13. Able to exhibit an elbow flexion and extension range of motion capable of reaching and operating bus and communications controls.
14. Able to exhibit a shoulder extension and flexion full range of motion capable of reaching and operating bus and communications controls.
15. Able to exhibit full range of motion for back lateral flexion.
16. Able to exhibit full range of motion for hip flexion and extension.
17. Able to exhibit full range of motion for knee flexion.
18. Able to work at various elevated heights in a safe and effective manner.
19. Able to work with a variety of chemical agents in a safe and effective manner without allergic reaction.
20. Able to operate office machines and radio communication equipment in a safe and effective manner.
1. Possession and maintenance of a valid California Commercial Driver’s License, Class A or B, with passenger endorsement.
2. Possession and maintenance of a valid California School Bus Driver Certificate.
3. Possession and maintenance of a valid medical certificate.
4. Possession and maintenance of a valid first aid and cardio-pulmonary (CPR) certificate.
5. Possession and maintenance of a safe driving record that is in compliance with the restrictions set forth by the California Vehicle Code.
6. Must use safety equipment designated for this position.
7. Some positions in this class may require individuals who can read, write, and/or speak a second language.
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT: Twelve-month work year
Classified bargaining unit member
EVALUATION: Performance of this job will be evaluated in accordance with Board of Education policy and provisions of the collective bargaining agreement. The Director of Transportation will complete the evaluation.
Approved by: Board of Education Date: February 1, 1972
Amended by: Board of Education Date: September 26, 1990
Amended by: Board of Education Date: September 23, 1993
Amended by: Board of Education Date: October 8, 1998
Amended by: Board of Education Date: August 25 ,1999
MURRIETA VALLEY UNIFIED SCHOOL DISTRICT IS A
TOBACCO-FREE, DRUG-FREE WORKPLACE
MURRIETA VALLEY UNIFIED SCHOOL DISTRICT IS AN
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER