Job Description / Essential Elements:
The Custodian, under the direction of an assigned supervisor, performs routine day or evening
custodial activities at an assigned school site; maintains buildings and adjacent grounds areas in a
clean, orderly and secure condition.
• Performs routine custodial activities at an assigned District school site during a day or
evening shift; sweeps, scrubs, mops, waxes and polishes floors; vacuum rugs and
carpets in classrooms, offices, workshops and other work areas; spot cleans and
• Cleans classrooms, cafeterias, lounges, offices and other facilities as assigned; dusts
and polishes furniture and woodwork; empties waste receptacles, spot mops spills;
removes gum, debris and graffiti as needed.
• Cleans and disinfects drinking fountains and restroom facilities including sinks,
toilets, and urinals; fills dispensers with towels, soap, toilet paper and other items;
cleans mirrors, tile, and windows.
• Picks up paper and other debris from grounds and buildings.
• Adjusts and arranges furniture and equipment; sets up school facilities for special
events and meetings.
• Performs a variety of routine general maintenance and repairs to equipment and
furniture as assigned.
• Locks and unlocks doors and gates as appropriate; maintains security of assigned
areas according to established guidelines; sets alarms as appropriate.
• Performs related tasks as required.
• Methods, materials and equipment used in custodial work.
• Cleaning materials, disinfectants and cleaning agents used in custodial work.
• Health regulations and safe working methods and procedures.
• Proper lifting techniques.
• District policies, rules and regulations.
• Operate a variety of custodial equipment including a floor stripper, buffer, carpet
shampooer, vacuum cleaner, and small power and hand tools.
• Meet schedules and time lines.
• Complete minor repairs as necessary.
• Observe health and safety regulations
• Work cooperatively with others.
• Understand and follow oral and written instructions.
• High school graduate or equivalent.
• One year experience as custodian.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an
employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable
accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential
While performing the duties of the job, the employee is regularly required to talk and/or hear.
The employee frequently is required to walk; use hand to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools or
controls; and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to stand, sit,
taste and/or smell.
The employee may regularly lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. This type of work may involve
carrying, lifting, pushing or pulling moderately heavy objects, ascending and descending ladders,
stairs, and ramps, and will involve walking or standing for extended periods. Working
conditions may include regular exposure to fumes, dust, odors, cleaning agents and chemicals.
Exposure to hot, cold, wet, humid, or windy conditions caused by weather may also occasionally
be experienced. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance
vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.