TUSTIN UNIFIED SCHOOL DISTRICT
The Groundperson, under the direct supervision of the Grounds Supervisor, performs a variety of grounds maintenance and gardening duties in the beautification of assigned grounds and landscaped areas.
• Performs wide range of landscape maintenance work such as mowing, edging, trimming, and watering of lawns, trees, and shrubs.
• Performs tasks such as planting, seeding, fertilizing of ornamental lawns and playing fields.
• Performs and assists in all manner of playground and playing field work which includes but is not limited to fencing, play equipment, sandboxes, asphalt and concrete play areas, parking areas, paths and walkways.
• Plants, prunes and removes trees.
• Drives trucks and other vehicles.
• Operates a wide range of hand and power equipment relating to landscape, playground, athletic field, and parking area maintenance and repair.
• Maintains and cares for tools and equipment.
• Performs related duties as required.
• Operation of hand and power tools and equipment used in gardening and groundskeeping.
• Gardening and grounds maintenance procedures including mowing, edging, raking and weeding.
• Methods, equipment and materials used in gardening and groundskeeping work.
• Herbicides, fertilizers, and other chemicals used in grounds maintenance and their proper applications.
• Health regulations and safe working methods and procedures.
• Proper lifting techniques.
• District policies, rules and regulations.
• Perform general grounds maintenance duties including mowing, edging and weeding.
• Operate hand and power tools and other equipment used in grounds maintenance.
• Perform routine maintenance on grounds maintenance equipment.
• Apply specialized chemicals to control and eradicate weeds.
• Observe health and safety regulations.
• Work cooperatively with others.
• Understand and follow oral and written instructions.
• High graduate or equivalent.
• One year of experience in grounds maintenance or gardening work.
• Possession of a valid California driver’s license.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of the job, the employee is regularly required to talk and/or hear. The employee frequently is required to walk; use hand to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools or controls; and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to stand, sit, taste and/or smell. The employee may regularly lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. This type of work may involve carrying, lifting, pushing or pulling moderately heavy objects, ascending and descending ladders, stairs, and ramps, and will involve walking or standing for extended periods. Working conditions may include regular exposure to fumes, dust, odors, cleaning agents and chemicals. Exposure to hot, cold, wet, humid, or windy conditions caused by weather may also occasionally be experienced. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.