Job Description / Essential Elements:
TEMPLETON UNIFIED SCHOOL DISTRICT
CLASS TITLE: Head Varsity Coach
DEFINITION: Under the direction of the Principal and Athletic Director, provides leadership, supervision, and organization to the THS Athletic Team during the season in accordance with CIF regulations. Due to the extensive after school responsibilities, no athletic team coach may simultaneously serve as a paid nor volunteer coach nor as a paid FFA Advisor. In the event an unfilled coaching vacancy must be filled, the Athletic Director may be named to fill that vacancy if recommended by the Superintendent and ratified by the Board.
• Develop the philosophy of the program so that it is consistent with the expectations of Templeton High School.
• Organize the program in relationship to coaching assignments, practice plans, and facilities.
• Be knowledgeable and competent in the care and prevention of athletic injuries, coaching techniques, rules and regulations in the sport being coached, and adolescent psychology as it relates to sports participation.
• Show respect for players, officials, and other coaches.
• Respect the integrity and judgment of game officials.
• Establish the safety and welfare of the players as the highest priority.
• Provide proper supervision of athletes during practice, in locker rooms, at contests and on trips.
• Use discretion when providing constructive criticism and reprimanding players.
• Maintain consistency in requiring all players to adhere to the established rules and standards of the game to be played.
• Properly instruct players in the safe use of equipment.
• Avoid exerting undue influence on a student's decision to enroll in an athletic program at any post-secondary educational institution.
• Avoid suggesting, providing, or encouraging any athlete to use non-prescriptive drugs, anabolic steroids, or any substance to increase their physical development or performance that is not approved by the United States Food and Drug Administration, the Surgeon General of the United States or American Medical Association.
• Follow the rules of behavior and procedures for crowd control as established by Templeton High School, the Coast Sierra League, and CIF.
• Support and monitor athletic eligibility with regards to grades, attendance, conduct, physicals, and insurance so that it conforms to school, district, league and CIF standards.
• Establish a systematic method of distributing, collecting and inventorying equipment.
• Under the direction of the Athletic Director: Plan and manage the budget of the individual program. Follow school and ASB budget policies and regulations. Ensure that fundraisers are approved by the Board.
• Develop and maintain a positive relationship with parents, the media, the community, the staff, and the administration.
• Perform other duties as assigned by the Principal/designee.
• Knowledgeable and competent in: 1) injury prevention; 2) coaching techniques; 3) rules of the sport being coached; 4) child psychology.
• Knowledge of basic first aid and emergency procedures.
• First Aid and CPR Certification prior to employment and/or beginning of relevant season.
• Valid California Driver's License.
• Knowledge of the general needs and behavior of children.
• Ability to communicate in writing for the purposes of composing the required reports and other correspondence.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
• High school graduation or its equivalent.
• College level playing experience, training, and/or previous high school coaching experience in the sport to be coached is preferred or equivalent background or experience.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: of this position are, but not limited to, the following:
• Stand in one area for extended periods of time.
• Stand and walk for extended periods of time.
• Sit for extended periods of time.
• Ascend and descend steps.
• See for the purpose of reading student work, laws and codes, rules and policies, and other related matter, and observing students.
• Hear and understand speech at normal levels.
• Understand and carry out oral and written directions.
• Communicate so others will clearly understand normal conversation.
• Communicate using the telephone.
• Bend, twist, kneel and/or or stoop.
• Lift and carry 30 lbs.
• Reach in all directions.
• Think clearly and rationally to solve problems.
The District requires, at district expense, a post-offer, pre-employment physical. Candidates offered positions who cannot meet the above physical requirements will be offered reasonable accommodations as appropriate in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act. In addition, prior to commencing work for the T.U.S.D., the individual must obtain a fingerprint clearance in accordance with Board Policy 4212 and AR 4212.5.
Pay Schedule: Stipend
Category: Not applicable
Accountability of time: Athletic Director
Tasks assigned by: Athletic Director
Evaluated by: Athletic Director
Hiring Authority: Site Administrator
Site(s): High School