Job Description / Essential Elements:
Under immediate supervision of the Operations Manager and/or Cafeteria Supervisor II,
performs general duties involving serving students meals, cashier duties, the cleaning of
equipment, dish room duties, and assisting in preparation of foods.
• Assists in preparation of a variety of food products.
• Assists in portioning and dispensing hot and cold foods.
• Prepares salads and sandwiches.
• Sets up counter.
• Serves on serving line; assists in equipment and kitchen clean-up.
• Performs cashiering duties; collects, sorts, counts and marks lunch tickets manually
or by using Point of Sale (POS) computer system; counts and records daily cash
receipts; totals daily sales; prepares manual or automated daily cash, sales and
• Assures compliance with kitchen sanitation and safety procedures and regulations;
maintains food quality standards including appearance and nutritional requirements;
analyzes operations and recommends improvements.
• Maintains cooperative relations with others.
• Understands and follows oral and written instructions.
• Performs related tasks as required.
• The safe use and care of modern kitchen and cafeteria service equipment.
• Safe and sanitary food handling procedures.
• Modern cleaning methods as applied to a school cafeteria.
• Health regulations and safe working methods and procedures.
• Proper lifting techniques.
• District policies, rules and regulations.
• Understand, follow and implement written and oral instructions.
• Learn specific policies, rules and regulations of the school district.
• Work cooperatively with others.
• Observe health and safety regulations.
• High school graduate or equivalent.
• Courses or training in home economics, nutrition, cafeteria management, or related
fields also desirable.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an
employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable
accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential
While performing the duties of the job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger,
handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls and talk and/or hear. The employee frequently is
required to walk or sit. The employee is occasionally required to stand; reach with hands and
arms; climb or balance; and stoop, bend, twist, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
The employee may occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Work conditions may include
exposure to fumes, dust, odors, cleaning agents and chemicals. Specific vision abilities required
by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, depth perception, and the ability to