Job Description / Essential Elements:
TEACHER, ELEMENTARY OR MIDDLE SCHOOL
Under supervision of the principal, and within the resources available, the teacher is responsible for providing an instructional program appropriate to identified needs of each student assigned.
1. Provide an instructional program based on identified need of each student; effectively utilize all District adopted programs as basic resources to the instructional program;
2. Accept responsibility for student performance in terms of principal/teacher predetermined objectives;
3. Use appropriate methods and acceptable materials for meeting the determined pre-objectives set by the principal/teacher;
4. Create a classroom environment that is conducive to learning appropriate to the maturity and interests of students;
5. Assess and report the accomplishments of students on a regular basis; provide reports as required or requested i.e., lesson plans, attendance records, state registers, cum folders, parent/teacher conference reports, etc.;
6. Recognize District special services, support personnel, and the home as contributing resources for appropriate involvement in the educational learning processes; accept responsibility for following District procedures in reporting to parents regularly concerning student progress and involving parents in various aspects of the instructional program throughout the year;
7. Assist the administration in implementing all policies and/or District rules affecting student life and conduct at school; maintain order in a fair and equitable manner; encourage student self-direction and control; maintain reasonable rules of classroom behavior and procedure;
8. Plan and supervise purposeful assignments for assistance when teacher aides, tutors, or parents are involved;
9. Cooperate with lead or resource teacher in all aspects of job performance;
10. Strive to maintain and improve professional competence;
11. Attend staff meetings and serve on staff committees as requested;
12. Accept a share of responsibility for co-curricular activities within the school;
13. Respond positively to administrative suggestions and direction in the performance of all assignments and reports.
1. Regular degree and credential or state authorized alternative appropriate for elementary or middle school instruction;
2. Good health;
3. Evidence of resourcefulness and proficiency in academic and/or special subject skills;
4. Interest in children and ability to spark their positive attitude toward learning.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, walk, sit, and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to reach with hands and arms. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds such as boxes of books and teaching material. Specific abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, the ability to adjust focus, the ability to hear conversations in quiet and noisy environments, and the ability to speak clearly in order to exchange information and make presentations. The employee will frequently interact with the public and other staff and occasionally work extended hours. Some driving is necessary.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet to moderate. Work is performed mostly indoors with some outdoor work. The employee is required to interact occasionally with dissatisfied or abusive individuals. The employee is directly responsible for the safety, well-being and work output of students.
The information contained in this job description is for compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act and is not an exhaustive list of the duties performed for this position. Additional duties are performed by the individuals currently holding this position and additional duties may be assigned.
Adopted 10/18/76; Revised 9/97