Job Description / Essential Elements:
SCHOOL SECRETARY II
Under general supervision in an elementary, junior high or high school, to perform a wide variety of responsible clerical work of more than average difficulty; to assist by relieving the principal of detail; and to do other work as required.
1. Perform a variety of secretarial and clerical duties for the principal;
2. Interview office visitors and telephone callers and either (a) answer questions regarding the school's courses, activities or programs; (b) refer persons to another source of information, or (c) schedule an appointment with the school administrator;
3. Take and transcribe dictation, including material of a confidential nature, letters, reports, bulletins, memoranda and other documents;
4. Compose independently or from oral instructions, letters requesting or giving information or letters dealing with routine school activities;
5. Receive, open and route mail;
6. Help make arrangements for and coordinate school and community activities held at the school;
7. Maintain active teacher files, correspondence, and other files and records;
8. May prepare and submit monthly payroll to the school administrator for approval;
9. Compile and prepare reports;
10. Operate office appliances, including adding machine and computers; and
11. May supervise the work of student workers.
1. Business English including vocabulary, grammar, spelling and punctuation;
2. Modern office practices and procedures;
3. Standard office equipment operation, including computer operation;
4. Rules, regulations, laws and policies governing the District.
1. Take dictation and transcribe with accuracy;
2. Make arithmetical calculations with speed and accuracy;
3. Compile and maintain accurate and complete records and reports;
4. Understand and carry out oral and written directions;
5. Meet the public tactfully and courteously and answer questions in person or via telephone.
6. Establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships with children and adults.
Two years of increasingly responsible clerical experience, preferably including at least one year in a public school office.
High school diploma or equivalent.
Valid California Driver's License;
CPR and First Aid Certificates.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of the job, the employee is regularly required to stand, walk and sit. The employee is occasionally required to stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl and reach with hands and arms. The employee is frequently required to reach with hands and continuously will repeat the same hand, arm or finger motion many times as in typing. The employee is continuously required to interact with public, students and staff while meeting multiple demands from several people. The employee must occasionally lift and/or push up to fifty pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, the ability to adjust focus, distance vision and depth perception.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate to loud.
The information contained in this job description is for compliance with the American with Disabilities Act (A.D.A.) and is not an exhaustive list of the duties performed for this position. Additional duties are performed by the individuals currently holding this position and additional duties may be assigned.