Job Description / Essential Elements:
LAFAYETTE SCHOOL DISTRICT
Under the supervision of the school principal, to assume responsibility for library management, to implement the library program as appropriate to the school situation, and to do related work as required.
· Responsible for requisitioning library books, audiovisual materials, library computer software and CD-ROM materials. Process library materials with suitable property markings and prepare for circulation
· Responsible for inventory, circulation, distribution and maintenance of library books, magazines, audiovisual material, CD-ROM material and related files and reports.
· Maintain an attractive, orderly library environment, reasonable standards of student behavior in the library.
· Assist library users to develop self-discipline and responsibility in the use of library materials.
· Perform minor repairs on library materials and equipment and send out for repair when required.
· Carry out instruction in library skills and use of library computers per guidelines in grade level benchmarks..
· Help train, co-ordinate, and supervise students and parent volunteers, and instructional aides.
· Keep current in all curriculum changes due to state adopted framework.
· Establish and maintain excellent interpersonal relations with all school community members.
· Prepare subject matter bibliographies for classroom use.
· Plan daily library schedules and activities to meet grade level needs per curriculum..
· Prepare library schedule for classes in cooperation with support programs.
· Assist teachers, students and parents to become aware of and to locate library books, magazines, pamphlets, audiovisual materials and CD-ROM materials.
· Participate in library staff meetings and inservice activities.
· Other duties as assigned.
· Modern office methods and procedures, including purchasing and basic math computation.
· Standard English usage, spelling, grammar and punctuation.
· Standard library terminology, practices and procedures, including the Dewey Decimal system.
· Basic principles of cataloging and organizing library materials.
· Basic reference materials and information-search techniques.
· Children’s literature.
· PC and MAC computers and appropriate library software.
· Perform responsible clerical work with speed and accuracy.
· Work tactfully and courteously with children, staff and public.
· Operate audiovisual equipment and PC and MAC computers.
· Train children and adults in library procedures.
· Two years of responsible library experience.
· One year of work with primary or intermediate school age children.
· Equivalent to completion of twelfth grade, and
· Completion of a two-year library media technology program in a junior college.