Job Description / Essential Elements:
HEAD CUSTODIAN IV
Under general supervision of the principal and director of maintenance, to supervise and perform the duties of keeping a school plant and grounds clean and orderly; and to do other work as required.
1. Confer with the principal and/or the director of maintenance and operations regarding care and cleaning matters at the school plant;
2. Supervise Head Custodian III and all other custodial staff on day and night shift.
3. Develop budget and process requisition for supplies for the day and night crews.
4. Monitor extra duty assignments of day and night staff.
5. Monitor record keeping process for routine operations, including time cards and vacation schedule for both day and night crews.
6. Shall meet with Head Custodian III on a daily basis at the start of every shift to review all necessary activities, set-up and routine procedures.
7. Report discrepancies to the principal;
8. Assist custodians with cleaning problems and instruct new custodians in their work;
9. Answer requests for setting up classrooms, multi-use rooms, and gymnasium to accommodate various activities;
10. Instruct custodians in the work to be done;
11. Report needed repairs;
12. Make minor non-technical repairs and adjustments to plant equipment and fixtures;
13. Requisition needed custodial supplies and equipment;
14. Supervise the storage, maintenance, and use of custodial supplies and equipment;
15. Receive and distribute school supplies;
16. Perform special custodial work when requested;
17. Perform all normal custodial duties; and
18. Supervise Head Custodian III and day and night crew and the major cleaning of the plant during the summer months.
1. Methods, materials and equipment used in cleaning the rooms, corridors and equipment of public school buildings;
2. Fire and other safety hazards involved in the operation of a school plant.
1. Establish cooperative working relationships with both classified and certificate personnel;
2. Develop and maintain cooperative work relationships with those contacted in the course of the work;
3. Supervise custodial and grounds personnel, and assist them in planning and organizing their work, and check that work is done effectively;
4. Perform general custodial and simple maintenance work;
5. Use common electrical cleaning equipment; and
6. Perform heavy manual labor.
Experience: Three years experience in cleaning and maintenance work;
License: Valid California Driver’s License.
Education: High school diploma or equivalent
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; use hands and fingers to handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to sit. The employee frequently must squat, stoop or kneel, reach above the head and reach forward. The employee continuously uses hand strength to grasp tools and climbs on to ladders. The employee will frequently bend or twist at the neck and trunk more than the average person while performing the duties of this job.
The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds such as cleaning supplies, pails and unloading trucks. Occasionally the employee will lift and/or move up to 90 pounds such as salt and bulk furniture. The employee will sometimes push/pull items such as tables, bleachers, scrubbing machines. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee regularly works indoors and outdoors. The employee will work near or with moving mechanical equipment. The employee may occasionally work with toxic or caustic chemicals such as petroleum products, degreasers, and sprays. The employee must be able to meet deadlines with severe time constraints. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
The information contained in this job description is for compliance with the American with Disabilities Act (A.D.A.) and is not an exhaustive list of the duties performed for this position. Additional duties are performed by the individuals currently holding this position and additional duties may be assigned.
Adopted 2/28/77....amended 5/00