Job Description / Essential Elements:
Under general supervision, to drive a school bus over designated routes in transporting school children; to perform general unskilled and semi-skilled maintenance work; and perform other work as required.
1. Drive a school bus daily, or as assigned, over a designated route in conformity with an established time schedule, picking up and discharging school children, including infant, wheelchair, and special needs students;
2. Escort children across streets and stop traffic as necessary, escort pre-K through 12th grade students as per district policy;
3. Transport children and teachers on field trips to various locations;
4. Maintain order among children on the bus, following District policies regarding disciplining children, contact with parents, and other local school patrons;
During non-driving time (if employed beyond actual driving time):
5. Clean, sweep and wash bus;
6. Load, unload and drive vehicle in delivering supplies and equipment;
7. As required, service and make minor repairs on buses;
8. Assist mechanics, maintenance and custodial workers in general maintenance and custodial work about school buildings and grounds;
9. Notification of Bus Maintenance due date;
10. Drivers are required to have training in Mainstreaming students with special needs.
1. Safe driving practices with use of 8-way amber/red light system, familiarization and proficiency on all district vehicles required to drive;
2. Operation of a modern school bus, including buses with 10-speed transmissions, forty (40) foot school buses with fire suppression systems may be required, Ed. Code, district policies and vehicles codes. and the laws governing its use;
3. Uses and purposes of the various hand tools employed in basic bus maintenance work;
4. Proper use of strobe and fog lights.
1. Drive a school bus and other automotive equipment safely and efficiently, maintain and renew certificate eligibility;
2. Maintain order among children on a school bus;
3. Perform general maintenance work;
4. Understand and carry out oral and written directions;
5. Be neat and clean in appearance per District dress guidelines;
6. Ability to complete necessary paperwork in compliance with state and federal regulations, California Energy Commission (CEC) and log book sheets for extended trips;
7. To perform safety sensitive functions while maintaining a drug and alcohol free standard in compliance with the code of federal regulations Title 49, Section382, et seq.
Experience: One year experience in the operation of a motor vehicle
Education: High school diploma or equivalent.
License: Valid California Driver’s License Class A or B-P;
Valid California Special Driver’s Certificate for School Bus;
Valid DL-51 Medical Examination
Other Skills, Abilities or Requirements:
1. Ability to work in a friendly manner with co-workers, students and parents;
2. Ability to read and understand maps;
3. Ability to pass State Skill Test, State Written Test, Department of Transportation physical and MDE Basic Training Programs;
4. Ability to communicate clearly and concisely both in oral and written form;
5. Ability to perform duties with awareness of all district requirements and Board of Education policies;
6. May be required to work during hours of darkness.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is continuously required to sit and occasionally required to walk or stand. The employee will frequently bend or twist at the neck and trunk while performing the duties of this job. The employee frequently repeats the same hand, arm or finger motion many times. The employee
frequently uses hand/arm /shoulder strength to grasp vehicle controls. The employee frequently uses legs/feet tot operate foot controls such as breaks and clutch. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 75 pounds such as students, snow chains and luggage. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, depth perception and peripheral vision.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Drivers are held responsible for harassment, student to student, driver to student. While performing the duties of this job, the employee occasionally works in temperatures above 100 and below32 degrees and occasionally will walk on slippery surfaces. The employee must be able to meet deadlines with severe time constraints and interact with public and other workers. The employee has direct responsibility for the safety and well-being of others. The noise level in the work environment is frequently loud to where you have
to raise your voice to be heard.
The information contained in this job description is for compliance with the American with Disabilities Act (A.D.A.) and is not an exhaustive list of the duties performed for this position. Additional duties are performed by the individuals currently holding this position and additional duties may be assigned.
amended 10/97, revised 5/2000