Job Description / Essential Elements:
PALO VERDE UNIFIED SCHOOL DISTRICT
SECONDARY SCHOOL TEACHER
Under the supervision of the school principal or other supervisor, teaches the assigned class or classes. As part of a secondary teaching assignment, the teacher will teach one or more classes in his/her field of specialization. The teacher will develop in the pupils the skills and knowledge necessary to continue on to the next level of coursework. Students will be taught to appreciate the role of this course in relationship to the real world. Students will learn methods of study and inquiry necessary to master the appropriate course content with the teachers guidance and assistance. The teacher will instill in his/her pupils, staff and administration. The teacher will perform other duties as required to teach the courses assigned. The teacher will follow directions and perform other duties or assignments as requested by administration.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Teaches pupils the required skills and knowledge in the respective assignment.
2. Instructs students in citizenship, basic communication skills and other general elements of the course of study as specified by State Law, Education Code and Board Policy.
3. Develops lesson plans and organizes instruction so that preparation, instruction, practical work, projects and clean up activities can be completed in the alloted amount of time.
4. Demonstrates the proper use of materials, equipment, tools and processes necessary to teach the course of study.
5. Provides individual and small group instruction in order to adapt the lesson/instruction to the needs of students.
6. Establishes and maintains proper standards of student conduct needed to provide a safe learning environment necessary to teach the class.
7. Evaluates each pupil’s performance , knowledge and skills relative to the course being taught and prepares and maintains grades, progress reports, etc.
8. Makes necessary orders for supplies and materials required to teach the course and follows established budget and district office procedures.
9. Maintains professional competence through participation in inservice training and other educational activities necessary to keep current with the teaching profession and his/her field of study.
OTHER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Will maintain communication with parents, counselors, administrators and other staff as necessary regarding each individual student’s progress.
2. Will supervise students in out of class activities as necessary.
3. Will perform assigned duty as directed by administration.
4. Will participate in District level inservice training programs.
5. Will attend all required staff, faculty and other meetings as assigned.
6. Will share in the sponsorship of student activities, clubs and organizations.
7. Will participate in school, faculty and district committees as assigned.
8. May plan, direct and coordinate instructional aides and volunteers.
Education/Experience: Must posses a Bachelors Degree from an accredited college or university. Completion of an approved teacher preparation program preferred; completion of student teaching preferred, content or subject matter knowledge appropriate for teaching assignment; knowledge of child growth and development and learning theory; passage of CBEST required by the California Commission on Teaching Credentials.
In some cases, waivers or emergency credentials may be granted that will waive some of these requirements. Teachers on waivers or emergency credentials will be required to do coursework leading to acquiring a preliminary credential in order to maintain employment with the District.
DEMONSTRATED PHYSICAL ABILITIES:
1. Ability to conduct verbal conversation in English, and other designated language.
2. Ability to hear normal range conversation (approximately 60 decibels.)
3. Ability to sit, stand, stoop, kneel, bend, walk.
4. Ability to sit or stand for sustained periods of time.
5. Ability to climb slopes, stairs and ladders.
6. Ability to push and pull a variety of objects weighing up to 50 pounds.
7. Ability to lift up to 30 pounds frequently and up to 50 pounds occasionally.
8. Ability to carry up to 30 pounds frequently and up to 50 pounds occasionally.
9. Able to exhibit full range of motion for shoulder external rotation and internal rotation.
10. Able to exhibit full range of motion for shoulder abduction and adduction.
11. Able to exhibit full range of motion for elbow flexion and extension.
12. Able to exhibit full range of motion for shoulder flexion and extension.
13. Able to exhibit full range of motion for hip flexion and extension.
14. Able to exhibit full range of motion for knee flexion.
15. Able to exhibit manual dexterity needed to operate office/classroom machines and equipment in a safe and effective manner.
16. Able to work with cleaning solutions, disinfectants and sanitizers in a safe and effective manner, without allergic reaction.
17. Able to obtain and maintain a required driver’s license.
18. Able to drive out of town for meetings, conferences, recruitment, etc.