Job Description / Essential Elements:
The Office Assistant I, under general supervision of the site administrator, performs a wide
variety of complex and technical clerical work requiring specialized knowledge and involving
frequent and responsible staff, student and public contacts.
• Plans, schedules, and performs a wide variety of complex clerical, typing and
computer entry work related to specialized functions.
• Prepares and types letters, memoranda, flyers, forms, records, reports, bulletins,
handbooks, questionnaires, requisitions and documents; duplicates a variety of
• Prepares documents based on data obtained from records and other sources and
processes them in accordance with prescribed procedures.
• Inputs, outputs, updates and accesses a variety of records and information into
• Answers telephone, greets students and/or staff and the public and provides routine
information and directs inquiries to the appropriate person or office; makes phone
calls to request or provide information as directed.
• Substitutes for or relieves other office personnel as needed.
• Receives, sorts and distributes mail and deliveries as assigned.
• Develops and maintains a system of files and records.
• Operates modern office machines and equipment.
• Performs related duties as assigned.
• Current technology and software applications.
• Correct English usage, spelling, grammar and punctuation.
• Telephone techniques and etiquette.
• Record-keeping and filing techniques.
• Standard office procedures.
• Health regulations and safe working methods and procedures.
• Proper lifting techniques.
• District policies, rules and regulations.
• Type at a net corrected speed of 45 words per minute.
• Perform responsible and complex technical clerical work involving independent
judgment and requiring accuracy and speed.
• Work efficiently with frequent interruptions.
• Make mathematical calculations quickly and accurately.
• Observe health and safety regulations
• Work cooperatively with others.
• Understand and follow oral and written instructions.
• High school graduate or equivalent.
• Two years clerical experience.
• Courses in recognized college or business school in related field desirable.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an
employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable
accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential
While performing the duties of the job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger,
handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls and talk and/or hear. The employee frequently is
required to walk or sit. The employee is occasionally required to stand; reach with hands and
arms; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
The employee may occasionally lift and or move up to 50 pounds. Work conditions may include
exposure to fumes, dust, odors, cleaning agents and chemicals. Specific vision abilities required
by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, depth perception and the ability to