Job Description / Essential Elements:
Under general supervision, plans, organizes, directs, and accomplishes goals and objectives of the Health Services Program.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
• Assess and evaluate of health and developmental status of selected students through nursing diagnosis and the use appropriate evaluation techniques.
• Work cooperatively with TUSD schools and community pre-schools to assess health needs related to learning.
• Perform well child assessments/physical exams, immunizations, and referrals as needed.
• Possess skills and knowledge to perform developmental assessments of children ages 0-5 years.
• Make home visits to identified families for evaluation, education and case management.
• Develop a network of medical resources and referrals within the community.
• Conduct vision and hearing screening assessments.
• Assesses student population for compliance with immunization and CHDP Laws.
• Provides care for ill and injured children.
• Provide student and parent health counseling.
• Develop specialized and standardized procedures as needed for special needs students.
• Conduct staff in-service on selected health topics and related issues.
• Present parent education classes as determined, i.e., growth and development, child abuse prevention, parenting skills, child safety/accident prevention.
• Maintain and submit data for state, district, and grant reports.
• Possess skills to make independent, immediate decisions.
• Ability to remain calm in an emergency situation
• Capability to demonstrate respect for children and adults.
• Competence to accurately record, transfer, and relate information.
• Ability to follow directions and procedures.
• Demonstrates active and reflective listening skills.
• Capability to present information in an organized manner.
• Serve as Liaison between District Health Services and the School Readiness Program.
• Attend monthly Commission-sponsored School Readiness Nurse meetings
• Completion and data entry of monthly commission reports
• Actively participate as a member of schools(s) disaster preparedness team
• Complete MAA surveys
• Other duties as assigned by Administrator.
• Must possess, or be willing to obtain, Medic First Aid Instructor's Certification.
To apply for this position, you must complete an Edjoin online application which includes the following:
• A current resume
• Three letters of recommendation (student teaching evaluations not acceptable)
• A copy of appropriate teaching credential(s)
(Valid California registered nurse license and credential authorizing health services in grade level K-12.)
• A copy of CBEST results (Applicants who are credentialed out-of-state are eligible to apply with or without the CBEST)
• Copies of all college transcripts (Unofficial copies are acceptable, however we cannot accept transcripts that have been downloaded from a website)
Clinical Nursing experience and/or previous school nurse experience. Teaching experience desired.
Appearance, grooming and personality which establish a desirable professional example to family, staff and community members. Ability to meet district standards for physical and mental health. Above average recommendations from supervisors and other professionals who have observed the characteristics, scholastic attainment and performance of the applicant.
The physical demand described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel object, tools, or controls, and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand, walk, and sit. The employee is occasionally required to reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; and taste or smell.
The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters. While performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently exposed to fumes or airborne particle. The employee occasionally works in outside weather conditions and is occasionally exposed to toxic or caustic chemicals.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.